Applies to VoipNow 3 and higher!
This article explains how to set up a phone terminal (Grandstream Handytone 286 ATA) that will be used with the VoipNow phone provisioning module. These recommendations also apply if you happen to do this for the very first time.
Assuming that your phone is reset to the default configuration:
- Plug in the power cord, the network cable and the headset cord.
- Power up your phone.
For more information on the physical installation, check the phone terminal's user guide provided by the vendor.
Configuration of phone network parameters
If the administrator has set up DHCP, the phone will automatically get its network parameters from the DHCP server. You only need to find out the phone's IP address. Dial *** on your phone and press 02 when the IVR menu picks up the call. Hang up after receiving the IP address. At this point, you can skip directly to the Configuration of phone provisioning parameters section.
If the administrator has not set up DHCP, then you must assign a static IP address to the phone. To do this, follow the next steps:
- Pick up the phone.
- Dial *** to open the phone's IVR menu.
- Dial 01 to disable DHCP. The IVR plays the current DHCP configuration: Dynamic IP mode (the default setting) or Static IP mode. If you hear the first option, then press 9 to change to Static IP mode. Press # to return to main menu.
- Dial 02 to configure the phone static IP address. You must enter the IP address using a specific format. For example, if your phone IP address is 192.168.1.5, you will need to dial: 192168001005. After dialing the IP address, the IVR will play it for you so you can verify if it is correct. Press # to return to main menu.
- Dial 03 to configure the subnet mask. You must enter the subnet mask using a specific format. For example, if your subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 you will need to dial: 255255000000. After dialing the IP address, the IVR will play it for you so you can verify if it is correct. Press # to return to main menu.
- Dial 04 to configure default gateway. You must enter the gateway using a specific format. For example, if the default gateway is 192.168.1.1, you will need to dial 192168001001. After dialing the IP address, the IVR will play it so you can verify if it is correct. Press # to return to main menu.
- Dial 05 to configure DNS. You must enter the DNS IP using a specific format. For example, if the default gateway is
192.168.1.254 you will need to dial: 192168001254. After dialing the IP address, the IVR will play it so you can verify if it is correct. Press # to return to main menu.
- Hang up the phone.
Configuration of phone provisioning parameters
- Open a web browser and type
http://<phone_ip_address> in the address bar. Assuming that everything was configured correctly, the browser should display the phone web interface. You can find the IP address assigned to your phone by dialing *** and by pressing 02 as soon as the IVR answers.
- Fill in the default password admin in the Password field and press Enter on your keypad.
- Click the Advanced Settings tab.
- Find the Upgrade Via option and select the TFTP radio button.
- In the Config Server Path field, fill in the provisioning link (i.e. the link where the phone will find the configuration files). This link is usually provided by the administrator. In case you did not receive it, check the Appendix to learn how to obtain it yourself.
- Click the Update button to save your changes and Reboot the device.
At this point, you should be able to make your first phone call.
If your administrator lets you provide the link for the phone yourself, then you should take the following steps:
STEP 1: Log in to the VoipNow web interface with your extension account.
STEP 2: Click the Provisioning and SIP icon in the Telephony section.
STEP 3: Customize the required fields taking into consideration the explanations below.
- Use provisioning - When enabled, the phone device associated with the extension will get all its setup parameters from the provisioning server. Otherwise, the extension user will have to set the phone parameters manually.
- Regenerate provisioning location - When enabled, VoipNow will delete the existing configuration file and will create a new one.
- Friendly name - Fill in a custom name that will differentiate the provisioned device
- Phone brand and model - From the drop-down list, select your phone terminal brand and model.
- Firmware - From the drop-down list, select the firmware version corresponding to your phone terminal.
- Phone MAC - Fill in the phone's MAC address. You will find it on the back of the phone device. The MAC address for Grandstream Handytone 286 ATA begins with
- Use MAC based provisioning - When enabled, the provisioning link will be generated based on the device MAC address as long as the Allow MAC based provisioning on HTTP(S) option is enabled from the Unified Communications → Provisioning templates → Global preferences.
- Phone admin username - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Confirm phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone update interval - The number of minutes the phone waits before checking for updates on the provisioning server.
- Update protocol - It's the protocol used by the phone to access the configuration file on the provisioning server.
- Allowed codecs - Select the checkboxes corresponding to the codecs supported by the phone device.
- Equipment description - You can leave this field empty.
STEP 4: Click OK to save the data. The provisioning link will be displayed at top of the screen.