Applies to VoipNow 3 and higher!
This article explains how to set up Snom 300/320/360 SIP phone terminals with firmware 6.2 and newer that will be used with the VoipNow phone provisioning module. These recommendations also apply if you happen to do this for the very first time.
Assuming that your phone is reset to the default configuration:
- Plug in the power cord, the network cable and the headset cord.
- Power up your phone.
For more information on the physical installation steps, check the phone terminal's user guide provided by the vendor.
Configuration of phone network parameters
Firstly, you need to select the language for the configuration process. Use the left and right arrow keys on the phone pad to locate your language and press Enter to select it.
Then the phone display will prompt the following question: "Are you using DHCP?" Ask your network administrator for the proper answer to this issue:
If the administrator has set up DHCP, press the Enter key on the phone pad. The phone will automatically receive an IP from the DHCP server and it will reboot. At this point, you can skip to the Configuration of phone provisioning parameters section.
If the administrator has not set up DHCP, then you must assign a static IP address to the phone. To do this, take the following steps:
- Press the Cancel key on the phone pad.
- The phone prompts you to enter the IP address assigned to the phone. To obtain this address, ask your network administrator. Use the digits on the phone key pad to enter the address and press the Enter key to save it.
- The phone prompts you to enter the netmask. Ask your network administrator to provide it. Use the digits on the phone key pad to enter the netmask and press the Enter key to save it.
- The phone prompts you to enter the gateway's IP address. Ask your network administrator to provide it. Use the digits on the phone key pad to enter the address and press the Enter key to save it.
- The phone prompts you to enter the DNS server's IP address. Ask your network administrator to provide it. Use the digits on the phone key pad to enter the address and press the Enter key to save it.
- The phone prompts you to select the appropriate dial tone for your country. Use the left and right arrows to find your country. Press the Enter key to select it.
- The phone prompts you to select your time zone. Use the left and right arrows to find your time zone. Press the Enter key to select it.
- The phone will ask you to enter more details. Such details are not mandatory, so if you want to skip this step, you can press the Enter key until your phone displays the clock.
Configuration of phone provisioning parameters
STEP 1: Open a web browser and type
http://<phone_ip_address>/advanced.htm in the address bar (where
<phone_ip_address> is the IP address assigned to the phone). Assuming that everything was configured correctly, the browser should display the phone web interface.
You can find the IP address assigned to your phone by pressing the down arrow key until the phone displays this entry:
STEP 2: Press the Enter key and the phone will display its IP address.
STEP 3: Locate the Setting URL field in the Update section.
STEP 4: Fill in the provisioning link (i.e. the link where the phone will find the configuration files). This link is usually provided by the administrator. In case you did not receive it, check the Appendix to learn how to obtain it yourself. Here is an example of a valid provisioning link:
STEP 5: Locate the Subscribe Config radio buttons available under the Setting URL text box. Make sure to select the on button.
STEP 6: Press the Save button to save your settings.
STEP 7: Press the Reboot button.
At this point, you should be able to make your first phone call.
If your administrator lets you provide the link for the phone yourself, then you should take the following steps:
STEP 1: Log in to the VoipNow web interface with your extension account.
STEP 2: Click the Provisioning and SIP icon in the Telephony section.
STEP 3: Customize the following fields taking into consideration the explanations below.
- Use provisioning - When enabled, the phone device associated with the extension will get all its setup parameters from the provisioning server. Otherwise, the extension user will have to manually set the phone parameters.
- Regenerate provisioning location - When enabled, VoipNow will delete the existing configuration file and will create a new one.
- Friendly name - Fill in a custom name that will differentiate the provisioned device.
- Phone brand and model - From the drop-down list, select your phone terminal brand and model.
- Firmware - From the drop-down list, select the firmware version corresponding to your phone terminal.
- Phone MAC - Fill in the phone's MAC address. You will find it on the back of the phone device. The MAC address for Snom phones begins with
- Use MAC based provisioning - When enabled, the provisioning link will be generated based on the device MAC address as long as the Allow MAC based provisioning on HTTP(S) option is enabled from the Unified Communications → Provisioning templates → Global preferences.
- Phone admin username - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Confirm phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone update interval - The number of minutes the phone waits before checking for updates on the provisioning server.
- Update protocol - This protocol is used by the phone to access the configuration file on the provisioning server.
- Allowed codecs - Select the checkboxes corresponding to the codecs supported by the phone device.
- Equipment description - You can leave this field empty.
STEP 4: Click OK to save the data. The provisioning link will be displayed at the top of the screen.
Except where otherwise noted, content in this space is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.