Applies to VoipNow 3 and higher!
This article explains how to set up a phone terminal (Aastra 480i phones with firmware 1.4.1 and newer) that will be used with the VoipNow phone provisioning module. These recommendations also apply if you happen to do this for the very first time.
Assuming that your phone is reset to the default configuration::
- Plug the power cord into the power supply.
- Plug one end of the ethernet cable into the power supply's J1 port (data and power) and the other end into the phone's switch port.
- Plug the internet cable into the power supply's J2 port.
- Connect the handset using the provided cable.
For more information on the physical installation, check the phone terminal's user guide provided by the vendor.
Configuration of phone network parameters
If the administrator has set up DHCP, the phone will automatically get its network parameters from the DHCP server. At this point, you can skip directly to the Configuration of phone provisioning parameters section.
If the administrator has not set up DHCP, you must assign a static IP address to the phone. To do this, take the following steps:
- Press the Options key on the phone pad. The Setup menu is displayed on the LCD screen. Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate through the menu.
- Navigate to the Network entry. Press the key corresponding to the Show option on the screen. The Network menu will be displayed on the LCD screen.
- Enter the default password, 22222 for admin.
- In the Network menu, go to DHCP and press the key corresponding to the Change option to select No instead of Yes. Press Done to save the changes.
- Go to the IP Address option and press the key corresponding to the Show option on the screen.
- Using the keypad, enter the IP address provided by your network administrator and press Done to save it.
- Repeat previous steps for each of the following entries: Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS using the appropriate menus.
- When finished, press the key corresponding to the Done option and restart the phone for the changes to take effect.
Configuration of phone provisioning parameters
- Open a web browser and type
http://<Phone IP Address>in the address bar. Assuming that everything was configured correctly, the browser should display the phone web interface.
You can find the IP address assigned to your phone by pressing the Options button. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Phone Status entry. Press the key corresponding to Show. Select the Network Status menu ant then press Show again. Next, press the key corresponding to the IP Address option on screen to locate the device's IP.
- You will be asked to provide the username and the password: admin and 22222.
- Go to the Configuration Server menu available in the left side of your screen.
- Select the Download Protocol as chosen in VoipNow.
- Enter the required data for the HTTP provisioning server. Here's an example of a valid provisioning link: http://192.168.9.210/pro/p/0002/0003/001
The provisioning path is the link where the phone will find the configuration files. This link is usually provided by the administrator. In case you did not receive it, check the Appendix to learn how to obtain it yourself. The path format is http://<Server IP address>/<Root sub-directory path>
- Enter the <Server IP address> in the HTTP Server field. In our example you would have to enter: 192.168.9.210.
- Enter the <Root sub-directory path> in the HTTP Path field. In our example you would have to enter: pro/p/0002/0003/001.
- Under Auto-Resync, set Mode to Configuration Files.
- Set the Time option to your current time. Provisioning is done within a random period between Time and Time + 15 minutes. Also remember that by changing line preferences from the phone's web user interface you prevent provisioning, because these changes are not overwritten by provisioning.
- Save the changes.
- From the Reset menu available in the left side of your screen, click the Restart button.
If your administrator lets you provide the link for the phone yourself, then you should take the following steps:
STEP 1: Log in to the VoipNow web interface with your extension account.
STEP 2: Click the Provisioning and SIP icon available in the Telephony section.
STEP 3: Customize the following fields taking into consideration the explanations below:
- Use provisioning - When enabled, the phone device associated with the extension will get all its setup parameters from the provisioning server. Otherwise, the extension user will have to set the phone parameters manually.
- Regenerate provisioning location - When enabled, VoipNow will delete the current configuration file and will create a new one.
- Friendly name - Fill in a custom name that will differentiate the provisioned device
- Phone brand and model - From the drop-down list, select your phone terminal brand and model.
- Firmware - From the drop-down list, select the firmware version corresponding to your phone terminal.
- Phone MAC - Fill in the phone's MAC address. You will find it on the back of the phone device. The MAC address for Cisco phones begins with
- Use MAC based provisioning - When enabled, the provisioning link will be generated based on the device MAC address as long as the Allow MAC based provisioning on HTTP(S) option is enabled from the Unified Communications → Provisioning templates → Global preferences.
- Phone admin username - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Confirm phone admin password - You can leave this field empty.
- Phone update interval - The number of minutes the phone waits before checking for updates on the provisioning server.
- Update protocol - It's the protocol used by the phone to access the configuration file on the provisioning server.
- Allowed codecs - Select the checkboxes corresponding to the codecs supported by the phone device.
- Equipment description - You can leave this field empty.
Except where otherwise noted, content in this space is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.